Thursday 8 March 2018

The Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) Camp!!

Kgosana Moeketsi
I've learned so much from the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) Camp that I attended on the 1-4 March 2-18.

I met, interacted and befriended a whole lot of people, but most of all, I sharpened my leadership skills by learning more about teamwork; trusting your teammates, giving them opportunities to do something, motivating them to perform better than they're currently doing, and listening/obeying your leader. I learned that even if you're a leader yourself, you have to listen to your followers and take their suggestions into consideration.

We played several mental games, which, from them I've learned to focus on achieving a goal in spite of all the distractions I might get. We also played paintball, which taught me how to have a strategy to get to where I want to be.

I learned about the wildlife, (e.g. different types of snakes and how they operate) and survival skills, (e.g. how to react to a scorpion/snake bite, or how to treat an injured teammate) that one can use in the wilderness.

I've strengthened my religious beliefs as we would have ''Bible Sessions'' every morning, respective of one another's religion. I've learned that judging people without knowing their backgrounds only leads to, either you or the person you judge being hurt (although it might not be physical) due to anarchy that might occur.

The RYLA Camp opened new doors for me and helped me to see life from a different perspective, in all aspects.

I am honored to have teachers who trust me enough to choose me to represent the school